Saturday, April 14, 2012

Beginning our beekeeping adventure

A few months ago my son Isaac and I decided to start keeping bees.  Part of this was my interest in Colony Collapse Disorder(CCD).  More on this in a later post.  We started planning this back in January and February and will get our 2 packages of bees on April 21st.

We have an area in the backyard all set for the bee hives.

This is in the North west corner of the yard.



















We built foundations of concrete
block to put the hives on.

Kanga inspecting the area and making sure all is right.


 So both foundations are set and ready to go.  I couldn't wait to see how the hives look so I brought one out to set it up.
 



Arvada (our home town) allows anyone to have up to 2 hives in their backyard but you must have a water source available close by.  Sandi and I bought a large ceramic pot at a garden store and I sealed the hole in the bottom.  I then added a solar powered pump so the water wouldn't become stagnant.  It works great and we see bees getting drinks already.


No comments:

Post a Comment